This light, summery dish combines tangy leeks with salty olives and sweet almonds to create a taste sensation. It can be served warm or cold.
- 4 medium leeks
- 70ml Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4tbsp ground almonds
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- 2tbsp Clearspring White Wine Vinegar
- 2tbsp olives, roughly chopped
- 1tbsp chopped chives
- Cut the green section off the leeks and discard. Cut the leeks in half and then cut in half lengthwise.
- Steam for 8-10 minutes until just tender.
- While the leeks are cooking heat 1 tablespoons of the olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and almonds and cook over a low heat stirring regularly for 5 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown.
- For the dressing, mix the mustard and vinegar together with some Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt and pepper and then gradually whisk in the oil to make a thick dressing.
- Place the leeks on a serving dish, drizzle over the dressing then scatter on the almond mix, olives and chives.
Celia Plender is a freelance food writer and chef with experience in both Japan and the UK. She has written for publications including Time Out Magazine, channel4.com/4food, goodfoodchannel.co.uk and clearspring.co.uk.
Since returning from Japan, where she worked as a chef in a Tokyo kaiseki restaurant, she has devoted more and more of her time to Japanese cuisine. As she trained in the West, she is also fully conversant with European cuisine.
She is the proud editor of two cookbooks: Dashi and Umami, the Heart of Japanese Cuisine (Cross Media 2009) and Umami World Recipes, Filipino (Cross Media 2009).
In her food writing career she has written for various magazines and websites, including www.channel4.com/4Food, where she is currently Deputy Editor, www.goodfoodchannel.co.uk, Time Out Eating and Drinking Guides, www.Eat-Japan.com and www.clearspring.co.uk. She is also a member of the Guild of Food Writers.