This recipe was created exclusively for us by Waitrose using our Silken Tofu and Brown Rice Miso.
This umami rich dish can be enjoyed as a starter, side dish or a light dinner. It is very common in Japan to eat tofu straight out of the pack. The plain tofu goes perfectly with the miso dressing, use the extra sauce in other asian dishes.
preparation time - 20min
cooking time - 10 min
- 1½ tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce - (Clearspring Soya Sauce)
- ½ tbsp Japanese rice vinegar - (Clearspring Rice Vinegar)
- ½ tbsp Clearspring Organic Japanese Brown Rice Miso
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil - (Clearspring toasted sesame oil)
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil - (Clearspring Rapeseed Oil)
- 200g Tenderstem broccoli spears, thicker stems halved lengthways
- 300g pack Clearspring Organic Tofu
- 2 salad onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- For the dressing, put the soy sauce, vinegar, miso, sesame oil, maple syrup and ginger in a jar. Screw on the lid and shake well to combine; set aside.
- Put the garlic and 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat. When the garlic is just golden, add the broccoli and coat in the oil. Add 5 tbsp (75ml) cold water; stir-fry for 5-6 minutes until the water has bubbled off and the broccoli is tender (add more water and cook for longer if the broccoli spears are thick).
- Meanwhile, drain the tofu well on kitchen paper; cut into 1cm-thick slices. Tip the broccoli onto a serving plate and top with the tofu slices. Spoon over ½ the dressing, then scatter with the salad onion and sesame seeds.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small pan over a high heat until smoking, then pour over to wilt the salad onions slightly. Serve with rice or noodles, if liked.
Tip: The remaining dressing can be refrigerated in the jar for up to a week.
This recipe appeared within the September 2018 recipe card collection.
Recipe cards are free to pick up every month in Waitrose stores