We have created a deliciously versatile and umami-rich Vegan Gravy recipe using our award-winning Organic Brown Rice Miso. You can drizzle it on everything from simple mashed potatoes to a hearty Sunday roast or festive dinners.
Soaking time - 30 mins
Preparation & Cooking time - 35 mins
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 30 mins. Once the mushrooms have rehydrated, slice and remove the hard stems and set aside (keep the liquid).
- Heat the sauce pan on medium to low and add the sesame oil. Fry the onions for a few minutes before adding the minced garlic, sliced shiitake mushrooms, thyme. Let it cook until the onions are transluent (around 10 mins). Pour the liquid saved from the mushrooms and the bay leaf and let it cook for a further 15-20 mins.
- Take off the heat and remove the bay leaf.
- Add the brown rice miso, tamari and mirin, and mix well.
- Mix the kuzu with 4 tbsp water in a bowl.
- Turn the heat back on low and stir while you pour the kuzu liquid to avoid lumps. Continue to stir for a couple of minutes until the kuzu thickens.
- Blend everything for a smooth finish or skip to include chunks. Serve warm.