Buckwheat is a commonly used gluten free ingredient, often seen in classic Breton pancakes. Filled with sticky apple, apricot and pinenuts these make a delicious pudding, or indulgent brunch.
Makes about 8 pancakes - Preparation time - 30 mins
For the galettes
- 1tbs/12g ground chia or flax seeds
- 150g Clearspring Buckwheat Flour
- 100ml plant milk of your choice
- 350ml water
- 1tbs Clearspring Coconut Oil
- 2 apples - cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 6 dried apricots - cut into pieces
- 1 tbs pinenuts
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup
- Place the ground chia seeds into a small bowl, add a tablespoon of water and stir. Leave to stand for a few minutes to become gelatinous. Pour the buckwheat flour into a large bowl, whisk in the milk, chia seed mixture and most of the water until you have a thin batter.
- Heat a little of the coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, ladle in a spoon of the pancake mixture, give it a gentle swirl and allow to cook. Turn once, when the bubbles rise to the surface. Keep warm in the oven whilst you cook the rest.
- To make the filling melt the coconut oil in a small frying pan and fry the apples and apricots until soft and starting to brown, add the pinenuts and rice malt syrup and cook until thick and sticky. Serve immediately.
Recipe, photography & styling by Helen Best-Shaw, Fuss Free Flavours, for Clearspring Ltd.