This miso soup is a classic white miso soup using simple ingredients, tofu, wakame and spring onion. Add any vegetables of choice, or keep it simple with this recipe for a warm bowl of miso soup. White miso or Shiro miso is a young miso. It is commonly made using white rice and fermented for a short period of 3-6 months.
- spring onion
- grated ginger – optional
First Make stock
Prepare all the ingredients going into the soup
- In a large pot, add dried shiitake, kombu and 1 litre of water and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Rehydrate the Wakame by soaking it in water.
- Open the pack of tofu, drain the liquid and cut into cubes.
- Cut spring onions, white mushrooms and any other ingredients you would like to add.
- Bring the dashi stock to a boil. Before it starts to bubble, take out the shiitake and kombu. Cut the shiitake mushrooms into small pieces and discard the kombu.
- Cut the rehydrated wakame and cut into small bite-size pieces.
- Add all ingredients into the soup and bring to a gentle boil, letting simmer.
- Open the Jar of Clearspring White Miso and scoop out the paste onto a ladle, and place it in the pot. Use chopsticks or a spoon to mix it in. Alternatively, you can add the miso to a bowl, take some liquid out of the soup and mix it before placing it back into the soup.
- Serve in a bowl.
Recipe by Lisa Dawson