Try this simple baked stuffed mushroom recipe, with a crispy topping and a zesty seaweed garnish. The filling is very adaptable. You can use any savoury ingredients that you have in the fridge, or add an extra filling to this recipe. It’s delicious served with rice or pasta.
Serves 4 - Preparation time: 15 mins, cook time 30 mins
For the Seaweed Gremolata
- Pour the oil into a medium frying pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add the peppers and cook for another minute. Stir in the tomatoes and chickpeas, and season well.
- Allow to cook until the tomatoes are soft, and have broken down to form a sauce. Add a little water it the mixture looks dry. Season to taste.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and place them on an oiled baking tray, fill with the tomato, pepper and chickpea mixture.
- Sprinkle the brown rice bread crumbs over. Roast at 180C / fan 160C / 350F / Gas Mark 4 for about 20 minutes, or until soft.
For the Gremolata
- Drain the seaweed, and wrap in a piece of kitchen paper to absorb some of the excess water. Snip up the larger pieces of seaweed.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, the olive oil and a generous pinch of salt. Mix well and add more salt if needed.
- Serve the mushrooms hot, topped with the gremolata.
Recipe, photography & styling by Helen Best-Shaw, Fuss Free Flavours, for Clearspring Ltd.