There are loads of recipes for whole roasted cauliflower but this one is smoked This one has a HUGE flavour with loads of spices INSIDE. A lot of recipes have flavour on the outside but not on the inside...cauliflower is such a mild flavour it really needs it!
preparation time - 15min
cooking time - 1 hour
- 1 small to medium size cauliflower
- 4 tsp ground cumin (seeds toasted and ground or use pre-ground)
- 4 tsp ground coriander (seeds toasted and ground or use pre-ground)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp Clearspring Organic Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus a little for the leaves and millet
- 1/2 tsp Clearspring Traditional Unrefined Sea Salt - plus a little for the leaves and millet
- ½ a preserved lemon, skin sliced, flesh removed
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 10 black olives - pitted and sliced
- 160g Clearspring Quick Cook Organic - Millet, Peas & Lentils
- 2 tsp Clearspring Brown Rice Miso
- ½ fresh lemon juice
- Sesame seeds or almond flakes (optional)
- Pre heat your oven to 200c.
- Cut the leaves off the cauliflower, discard the very outer leaves that are a bit battered and tough. Roughly chop the remaining leaves and set to one side.
- Mix the spices, oil and salt.
- Turn the cauliflower upside down and pour one quarter of the oil into the gaps. Push the lemon and garlic cloves into those gaps, you may have to push quite hard but they should go in. If the garlic cloves you are using are big cut them lengthwise in half and then insert them. Turn the cauliflower the right way up and cover with the remaining oil, using your hands (yes, this will get messy!) to rub it into every part of the cauliflower.
- Put the cauliflower on a piece of foil, put any garlic cloves that wouldn't fit inside on the top along with any remaining garlic cloves. Wrap the cauliflower up very well, we want to keep all the steam inside so it makes the cauliflower soft.
- Place in the oven for around 20-30 minutes, check if it is cooked on the inside by poking a fork into one of the stalks in the centre, you want it to be soft but not falling apart.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, using double the amount of water to millet. Add the brown rice miso and millet grains. Cook for 10 minutes until soft and fluffy. Add the lemon juice, a little oil and salt, mix well.
- Toss the cauliflower stalks in a good drizzle of oil and a good dash of salt, mix well and roast in the oven for around 15 minutes until the stalk is tender and the leaves are crispy.
- If you are smoking the cauliflower add your chips to the smoker, add everything that was in the foil (cauliflower, lemon, garlic) to the smoking plate. Smoke the cauliflower for 10 - 15 minutes.
- On your serving plate add the millet then the leaves and olives. Add the cauliflower to the plate, dress with a scattering of toasted sesame seeds or almond flakes.
Vegan Chef Day - Day Radley
Day Radley is an international professional chef & food writer. Having healed her own toxic relationship with food she now helps women all over the world do the same.
She regularly writes for UK & International Food magazines, has been featured on Sky News. She works as health food consultant for international brands and as a personal chef and cooking teacher in London.
Day is considered a leading pioneer of simple modern simple cooking and is passionate about ditching the rules and making food and eating fun again.