Umami, translated from Japanese, means "pleasant savoury taste" and very pleasant it is too. For this recipe, Umami Paste is used to flavour Soba noodles while the crunchy vegetables add colour, vitamins and minerals. The rich savoury flavour Umami flavour complements the sweetness of the maple syrup and the nuttiness of the noodles. This is very quick and easy dish perfect for a nourishing lunch or light supper.
- 120g Clearspring Soba noodles, cook according to packet instructions
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 100g sugar snap peas, sliced in half length ways
- leaves from a handful of coriander
- Clearspring Sea Salt and black pepper to season
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
For the Umami Dressing:
- 1 tbsp Clearspring Umami Paste with Ginger
- 1 tbsp Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Clearspring Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- To make the Umami dressing, whisk together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- In a large bowl, mix the noodles, coriander leaves and sliced spring onion with the dressing.
- Divide the noodles between two bowls, top with the sugar snap peas, carrot and sprinkle over some sesame seeds (if using).
Eva Humphries is a registered nutritionist, founder of the health and wellness site www.wholefoodwarrior.co.uk and all around foodie. Eva started www.wholefoodwarrior.co.uk out of frustration for the diet industry. She felt there was a need for simple recommendations based on foods that really promote health. Whole foods are one such category which led her to the creation of Wholefood Warrior. As a nutritionist, she specialises in one to one nutritional therapy consultations and hosts nutrition talks across the Midlands on topics including improving energy and boosting the immune system.