These retro style savoury jellies topped with mayonnaise, make a fun, but different light appetiser.
Serves 6 (with extra tofu mayonnaise)
For the Jellies
For the Tofu Cream Mayonnaise
- ½ block Clearspring Silken Tofu
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 3 tsp Lemon Juice (or Rice Vinegar)
- 2 tsp Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Clearspring Rice Syrup (optional if using lemon juice)
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Place the agar agar flakes in a small saucepan, pour over the water, stir and leave for at least half an hour.
- Bring the mixture to a boil without stirring. Once boiling stir the mixture until the flakes dissolve.
- If there are some remaining flakes either whizz with a stick blender taking care to ensure that the blades are fully submerged, or strain through a sieve into a bowl.
- Add the noodle broth and stir.
- Allow to cool a little and transfer to 6 shot glasses. Once cold place in the fridge to set.
- Place all the ingredients for the tofu mayonnaise into a deep bowl and mix until smooth with a stick blender, or whizz in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a covered container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. If there is any separation drain off any liquid and then give a quick stir to recombine.
- Serve the shots topped with a layer of the tofu mayonnaise and garnish with fresh basil, or other herbs.
Recipe, photography & styling by Helen Best-Shaw, Fuss Free Flavours, for Clearspring Ltd.