Miso glazed aubergine is a very popular Japanese dish enjoyed as a starter or as a side.
For the Glaze
- Use a peeler and peel the skin of the aubergine into long strips. Slice into 2cm chunks and place them on a large plate or a tray. Rub some sea salt on both sides of the flesh of the aubergine and leave it for 10-15 minutes to extract the moisture.
- Wipe salt off the aubergine with a tea towel or kitchen paper.
- Add sesame oil to a frying pan on medium heat, and cook the aubergine on both sides until golden.
- Mix all the ingredients for the glaze into a pan and mix with a spatula. Heat the paste to help soften the miso. Continue to mix until it has a creamy consistency.
- Place the glaze on top of the cooked aubergine and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve warm.
Recipe by Lisa Dawson