This salad was a real hit in the deli, and it’s one of my go-tos as well. We used to serve it cool, but have recently discovered a new love of serving it warm, straight out the oven and couldn’t recommend that more. The dressing is partly what makes this so good and I use it a lot in other dishes – the ginger, miso, sesame and lime mix is a real winner.
Serves - 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish
- 2 Medium Aubergines, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 Large Head of Broccoli, chopped into florets
- Pinch of Chilli Flakes
- Handful of Coriander, chopped handful of sesame seeds
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Miso Paste
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Thumb-sized piece of Ginger, peeled and grated
- Preheat the oven to 240ºC (fan 220ºC).
- For the dressing, blitz the miso, lime juice, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and some salt and pepper in a blender until smooth. If you don’t have a blender, dissolve the miso paste in a tablespoon of boiling water then stir through the other dressing ingredients.
- In a large baking tray, mix the aubergine with the dressing and roast for 30-35 minutes. At this point, remove the tray from the oven and switch the oven over to the grill setting.
- Mix the broccoli florets with the aubergine, then place the tray back in the oven for another 10 minutes until the broccoli is lightly charred on top and the aubergine is soft and golden.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven, place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with the chilli flakes, coriander and sesame seeds before serving.
Ella Mills, founder of Deliciously Ella, is an award-winning cookery author and entrepreneur, and a champion of plant-based living.
The Plant Based Cook Book