Barley Miso Soup with Udon Noodles 🍲 Nikomi udon or miso nikomi udon 味噌煮込みうどん is a warm and comforting miso soup made using udon noodles. You can use any vegetables you like to make this warming miso noodle soup at home.
Serves 2-3 I Cooking time 15 mins (Soak the dashi stock 30minutes+)
Dashi Japanese broth
- First make the stock by adding shiitake and kombu into a medium pan with 1 litre of filtered water for 30 minutes or longer.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the noodles as instructed on the pack. Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop it from further cooking.
- Wash all the vegetables and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Add all the vegetables into the stock pot with the shiitake mushrooms and kombu and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Take out the shiitake mushrooms and remove the hard stalk. Cut the rest into length ways and add it back into the pot.
- Turn off the heat and add the barley miso paste into a ladle and place it in the pot. Use chopsticks or a spoon to mix it in. Alternatively, you can add the miso to a small bowl, take some liquid out of the soup and mix it before placing it back into the pot.
- Add the cooked udon noodles and let that simmer in the soup. Don’t let the pot boil as you will kill the live bacteria in the unpasturised miso.
- Serve in a soup bowl with grated ginger, spring onion and Clearspring's new condiments range - Irigoma toasted sesame seeds and Shichimi Togarashi.
Recipe by Lisa Dawson
All Clearspring recipes are 100% plant-based, using Organic products where possible and refined sugar-free.