This recipe was created exclusively for us by Waitrose & Partners using our Brown Rice Miso Paste.
For a perfect festive plant based alternative try this recipe created by Waitrose & Partners. The Miso gravy can also be used in other dishes including Sunday roast.
15 minutes, plus marinating
35 minutes, plus marinating
- 2 tbsp Clearspring Sunflower oil, plus 1 tsp
- 2 tbsp Clearspring Organic Brown Rice Miso
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 15 sage leaves, 5 finely chopped
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 640g), peeled and chopped
- 6 tbsp Oatly Creamy Oat single cream alternative
- 300ml fresh Cooks’ Ingredients Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp arrowroot or cornflour, mixed with 1 tsp cold water
- Swiss chard or other seasonal greens, to serve
- Mix 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp miso, the garlic and chopped sage; brush over the mushrooms. Boil the potatoes in a covered pan of salted water for 10-12 minutes, until very soft. Drain and mash to a smooth purée. Stir in the cream alternative; season. Preheat the oven to 140˚C, gas mark 1.
- Meanwhile, fry the sage leaves in 1 tbsp oil for 2-3 minutes until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper; keep warm. Wash out the pan, then boil the stock, the remaining 1 tbsp miso and the maple syrup for 10 minutes, until reduced to 175ml. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp oil in an ovenproof non-stick frying pan. Fry the mushrooms, stalk-side down, on medium-high heat for 2 minutes, pressing now and again with a fish slice, until deep golden. Turn, cook for 2 minutes, then put in the oven for 10 minutes. Reheat the gravy, add any mushroom juices and whisk in the arrowroot or cornflour. Simmer until glossy and a little thick. Season and serve with the veg, sage and mushrooms.
: Arrowroot is really useful for vegetarian or vegan gravies, as it adds body without making the gravy cloudy. Avoid re-boiling once it has thickened.
This recipe appeared within the December 2019 recipe card collection.
Recipe cards are free to pick up every month in Waitrose & Partners stores