These Jackfruit bites are delicious on their own or with a tofu mayo, ketchup or your favourite dips. Perfect bites to have as a starter or as a side. You can also tear or shred the jackfruits into smaller pieces and make it into a patty for burgers or with vegetables.
For the seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp plain flour
For the batter
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and transfer into a bowl. If you have very large chunks, slice them in half to create bite size pieces.
- Sprinkle the seasonings on to the jackfruit and mix well and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the plant milk and apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Dip the seasoned jackfruit in the batter then coat it in plain flour. Repeat this twice so it's double dipped and set aside on a plate or a tray.
- Deep or shallow using around 200ml oil (depending on the size of your pan you may need more or less oil) and fry for 3-5 minutes on medium-heat at around 180 degrees, turning it so all the sides are cooked and has a crispy finish or bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes turning it half way to make sure all sides are cooked.
- Serve on its own or with your favourite dips like vegan mayo, mustard or ketchup.
Recipe by Lisa Dawson