Miso soup is a kitchen staple in Japan. Everywhere you go you will see people enjoying a bowl of miso soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Here, you will find the basic method for making your own miso soup. You can add any green or root vegetables and Clearspring Udon noodles to make it into a pot dish as well. Create your simple homemade fresh Miso soup by following these simple steps.
- spring onion
- grated ginger – optional
First Make stock
Prepare all the ingredients going into the soup
- In a large pot, add dried shiitake, kombu and 1 litre of water and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Cut the leeks, carrots and daikon radish and any other ingredients you would like to add.
- Bring the dashi stock to a boil. Before it starts to bubble, take out the shiitake and kombu. Cut the shiitake mushrooms into small pieces and discard the kombu.
- Add all ingredients into the soup and bring to a gentle boil, letting simmer.
- wash and cut the watercress and the shiitake mushroom and add to the soup.
- Open the Jar of Clearspring Brown Rice Miso and scoop out the paste onto a ladle, and place it in the pot. Use chopsticks or a spoon to mix it in. Alternatively, you can add the miso to a bowl, take some liquid out of the soup and mix it before placing it back into the soup.
- Serve in a bowl with grated ginger & spring onion.
*Tip: Do not let your soup boil after you have added the miso - as this will kill the miso's fermentation process.
Recipe by Lisa Dawson