Sisters Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley consult about and cook nourishing foods for their London based wellbeing company Hemsley & Hemsley. As fans of Clearspring they wanted to share this simple roasted vegetable salad with Clearspring’s Umeboshi plum puree playing the starring role.
Umeboshi, the tangy salty pickled plum, is a traditional Japanese fruit - revered since ancient times as both a food and potent health tonic is particularly beneficial to your digestion, so learn to love it's unique flavour!
- 60g quinoa, we used black quinoa but use red or white too (ideally soak 8 hours or overnight, then drain and rinse for maximum nutrition and digestion)
- 1 medium fennel, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, sliced lengthways on the angle
- 10 asparagus (when not in season, green beans or tender stem broccoli work well too)
- 3 pink radishes sliced
- 1 tablespoon of black and white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 2 spring onions sliced on the angle
- a little fresh mint and coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Drain and rinse the quinoa and cook in hot water or hot stock (for more flavour and nourishment) according to the packet instructions, approximately 10-15 minutes. Drain and set aside
- Quarter the fennel and slice the carrots lengthways on the angle - rub with coconut oil and roast for 8-10 mins or until tender
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan, remove and set aside
- in the same pan, dry fry the asparagus by laying out on the pan, not too close and let them dry fry and brown on a medium heat for 1-2 mins on each side, depending on their thickness
- Prepare the dressing by blending all the ingredients or chopping everything finely and whisking with a fork or shaking in a jam jar
- Slice the radishes and spring onions
- Roughly chop the mint and coriander
- Spoon the quinoa into the centre of the plate and arrange the carrots, fennel and asparagus in the centre. Scatter the radishes, spring onions, herbs and toasted seeds around
Hemsley & Hemsley
HEMSLEY & HEMSLEY is Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley. We are a London based family business for people who want to live healthier and more energised lives. We make whole, organic, nutrient filled, delicious homemade foods, free of grain, gluten, high starch and sugar. We want to share the food we love cooking and eating. This blog is all about food that changes the way we feel.