These muffins are a true celebration of colour, texture and taste.
Makes 12 muffins
- 708g plain white flour
- 2tbsp baking powder
- ¾tsp salt
- 1 small pinch cinnamon
- 118g roasted hazelnuts, skinned and chopped
- 236g raisins, rinsed & soaked
- 1 pinch of vanilla powder or a few seeds scraped from a vanilla pod
- 236g of blueberries
- 177ml Clearspring Sunflower Oil
- 250ml Clearspring Rice Malt Syrup
- 59ml apple juice (if you would like to create a heavier style of muffin you can leave this out & replace it with more rice malt syrup)
For fruit sauce:
- 236g red fruit (strawberries, raspberries, red currants) - frozen or fresh
- 2tsp apple juice (optional) or orange juice concentrate
- 1tsp Clearspring Kuzu (dilute in a tiny amount of apple juice)
- Clearspring Rice Malt Syrup or orange concentrate/syrup (optional)
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix all wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients until you have a smooth consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin moulds.
- Bake in oven at 180C for 45 minutes.
For red sauce:
- Put red fruit in a saucepan and heat up with a pinch of Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt.
- When the fruits start cooking down, add the rice syrup and cook to form a thick syrup.
- You can add apple juice if you want a bigger quantity.
- Dissolve kuzu in a small amount of apple juice, and stir into the fruit while it thickens.
- Add rice syrup or orange concentrate to taste.
You can create different flavours of muffin. Some other options include adding lemon zest, poppy seeds, any nuts, Clearspring Seeds, Soya and Cranberries or cubed apples.
Marijke de Coninck
Marijke De Coninck is Co Director of the International Macrobiotic School. She works as a Macrobiotic teacher, Life Counsellor and Cook in the UK and in Belgium. Her children are running a thriving macrobiotic restaurant in Ghent.
Together with her partner Oliver she is training people to become Macrobiotic Life Counsellors, Cooks and Healing Cooks in an in depth and innovative three year course.
Marijke is a sought after counsellor in the UK and abroad. She is very well known for her unique way of counselling.