Sea Vegetable & Avocado Salad with Tangy Umeboshi Sauce
This Japanese salad is delicious and tangy from the Umeboshi Puree, contrasted with the deep savoury flavour of the sea vegetable Dulse.
Serves 4 - Preparation time 20 mins
Tangy Umeboshi Sauce
- Soak dulse in cold water for few minutes and then squeeze water out.
- Branch sugar snap peas in salted boiling water for 1 minute then drain under cold running water. Run the water until peas becomes completely cold.
- Cut avocado into half first then take the stone out and peel. Cut them into segments.
- Mix all the ingredients for Umebpshi sauce in a large mixing bowl. Mix them well until the texture becomes sticky and shiny.
- Add dulse and sugar snap peas into the bowl and mix them well making sure all the dulse gets the sauce evenly. And then add the avocado and sesame seeds and gently toss them taking care avocados don’t lose the shape.
- Serve in the individual bowls.
Reiko was born in Kyoto, the ancient capital of Japan. She grew up in a traditional Japanese family with a food-fanatic mother, who has shaped her love of Japanese cooking today.
London has been Reiko's home for the last 14 years and she runs Hashi Cooking, a Japanese cookery school, from her home in Wimbledon. Reiko offers classes and courses for absolute beginners, right through to professional chefs. Reiko's philosophy is to make authentic Japanese cookery accessible to all.
In 2011, Reiko released her first cookbook - 'Hashi, A Japanese Cookery Course', based on many of the recipes from her courses. The book has been a great success amongst beginners and professional chefs and she is in the process of writing a second.
Reiko has also appeared in the media, featuring on programmes such as Good Food Live and The Great British Kitchen, working with notable chefs John Torode, Gino D'Acampo and Hardeep Singh Kholi.
Also in Recipes - Vegan, Macrobiotic & Japanese
Weekend Buckwheat pancake stack. This is a nutty wholesome breakfast which can be made in no time. Double the ingredients to enjoy with the whole family.
Kick-start your day with a Clearspring Organic, 100% Japanese Matcha Shot. A finely ground powder made from the highest quality premium grade green tea leaves, shade grown on a tea garden high in the hills of Uji, Kyoto, Japan, renowned for producing the best Japanese tea.
Matcha’s not only destined to be a drink! Our magical green powder can work its magic when added to your kitchen creations. We have created a delicious on-the-go snack for you.