Hijiki brings a nice twist to this delicious summery salad. The use of Quinoa means it could even be a light lunch rather than just a side.
- 1 cup Clearspring Quick Cook Rice & Quinoa
- 3 cups filtered water or organic vegetable stock
- ½ cup Clearspring Hijiki (rinsed and soaked for 10 minutes)
- ½ yellow pepper very thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh watercress
- 1 small bunch of red radishes, very thinly sliced
- Fresh sprouts, mung beans or alfalfa
- 3 tbsp. Clearspring Roasted Seeds with Goji Berries
Orange Ume Plum Dressing
A delicious dressing that works well with hijiki salad or simply serve over fresh greens or noodle salads in the summer. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Juice of half a lemon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 tsps. Clearspring Umeboshi Paste
- 2 tbsp. Clearspring Omeg-a-Day Flaxseed Oil
- 2 tsps. finely chopped chives
- Prepare the quick cook rice and quinoa as per pack instructions.
- Remove to a large bowl and leave to cool then fluff up with a fork.
- Cook the soaked hijiki in a small saucepan with enough water to cover, simmering for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain any excess water and allow to cool.
- Add the hijiki to the rice along with the watercress, yellow pepper, radishes and sprouts and mix gently.
- Pour over the orange ume plum dressing and top with the Clearspring roasted seeds/goji berries.
- Place the lemon and orange juice with the umeboshi puree and flaxseed oil in a blender, and blend until smooth. Stir in the chives.
For over 30 years Marlene has been actively teaching all aspects of health and wellness. Her dietary advice draws from the fields of macrobiotic nutrition, her studies in Traditional Chinese medicine and common sense. Her favourite saying is 'If you don't look after your body, then where are you going to live'.
Her new book "Go Vegan" is now available.