Boost Your Meals with Beans! According to a recent study, regular bean eaters are 22 percent less likely to be overweight and have smaller waistlines than those who pass on legumes. Beans release energy slowly into the body, making them a great weight loss food. 'They are also high in protein and fibre, which satiates the appetite and helps keep you full for longer periods of time.'
- 2 tbsp Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Half a jar of drained Biokitchen Sweet Corn
- One full drained jar of Biokitchen Garden Peas & Carrots
- 1 celery stalk cut into small cubes
- 2 small leeks finely sliced
- 4 tbsp tomato passata
- 226g of borlotti or mixed beans, cooked (canned organic is fine)
- 2 stamp size pieces of Clearspring Kombu
- 1 sachet Clearspring Miso Bouillon
- 900ml filtered water
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste (optional)
- Chopped parsley or whole basil to garnish (optional)
- Bring the kettle to a boil and mix the contents of the miso bouillon sachet in 900ml of hot water and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the garlic and fry for a few seconds.
- Add celery and leeks and sauté for five minutes.
- Add the tomato passata and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add all the Biokitchen vegetables, beans, kombu and miso bouillon stock.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes on a low heat. Remove and discard the kombu.
- Remove one cup of the soup, blend to a cream in an upright blender or use a stick blender and return to the pot. Stir in the parsley.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and black pepper (optional) and if you prefer finish off with a swig of Clearspring olive oil.
For over 30 years Marlene has been actively teaching all aspects of health and wellness. Her dietary advice draws from the fields of macrobiotic nutrition, her studies in Traditional Chinese medicine and common sense. Her favourite saying is 'If you don't look after your body, then where are you going to live'.
Her new book "Go Vegan" is now available.