This is a great recipe for a quick lunchtime stir-fry. It uses broccoli and kale (or dark-leafed cabbage greens or spinach).
- Press the tofu in paper towels to absorb any excess water.
- Whisk the soya sauce, miso paste, ginger juice and vinegar in a cup and set aside.
- Heat the toasted sesame oil in a wok over medium heat and add the garlic, onion and the mushrooms. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tofu and cook on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kale, stir and cover for 5 minutes or until it turns bright green adding a little water if necessary.
- Add the broccoli, cover for 3 or 4 minutes, if the pan seems dry add a splash more water. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the dressing. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- To get the best taste from tofu I dry-fry it and then marinade it for a few hours or you can marinade overnight and leave in the fridge.
- To dry-fry simply press excess water out with paper-towel, slice the tofu and place in a dry-frying pan at a low heat and press with a spatula.You will hear a hissing sound as the excess water is removed. Turnover and do the other side.
- To marinade I use 1 tbsp of each - freshly squeezed ginger juice, shoyu and mirin – you can add ¼ tsp turmeric, sweet paprika, garlic powder or whatever taste excites you.
For over 30 years Marlene has been actively teaching all aspects of health and wellness. Her dietary advice draws from the fields of macrobiotic nutrition, her studies in Traditional Chinese medicine and common sense. Her favourite saying is 'If you don't look after your body, then where are you going to live'.
Her new book "Go Vegan" is now available.