Here's a stylish and delicious vegan burger to try at your next barbeque.
Makes 6-7 large or 14 small burgers
- 1 tbsp Clearspring Sesame Oil
- 1/2 onion diced finely
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 708g cooked and drained adzuki beans
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 30g sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C and lightly oil a baking tray or line with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion, celery, garlic and ginger. Cook stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Stir in the bell pepper and kale and cook, covered, until kale has wilted (another 5 minutes or so). Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, puree 472g of adzuki beans, tahini and water in a food processor. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in the vegetable mixture & remaining 236g of adzuki beans.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on a large plate, if using.
- With wet hands, scoop out one heaped tablespoon of the mixture and form into a ball. Use more mixture for larger burgers.
- Flatten slightly and press into sesame seeds if using, then transfer to the baking tray.
- Bake the burgers for 20 minutes turning once halfway through or until a slight crust has formed.
Serving suggesion: Serve with baked pumpkin slices on top and drizzle with a reduced sauce.
For over 30 years Marlene has been actively teaching all aspects of health and wellness. Her dietary advice draws from the fields of macrobiotic nutrition, her studies in Traditional Chinese medicine and common sense. Her favourite saying is 'If you don't look after your body, then where are you going to live'.
Her new book "Go Vegan" is now available.