Wakame Soup with Snow Peas & Ginger
Photography (c) Akira Saito
A detoxifying soup packed with delicious, nutritious wakame.
"The detoxifying element of this meal is the Wakame Soup with Snow Peas and Ginger. Once after a tour, I was so exhausted I had to stay in bed for a few days. During that period I ate nothing but Wakame Soup and - to my surprise - I recovered quickly".
From Mayumi's Kitchen by Mayumi Nishimura
- 1tbsp Clearspring Wakame Flakes
- 480ml water
- 30g onion, cut into half-moons
- 30g snow peas(or sugar snaps), tops and strings removed and cut on the diagonal
- 40g sweet corn (frsh or tinned)
- 2tbsp Clearspring Soya Sauce
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- handful coriander
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- Soak the wakame in 120ml spring water for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside, reserving the water.
- In a pot, bring the soaking water plus 360ml water to the boil over a high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Add the wakame and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the snow peas and corn, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season with soya sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes more. Serve with grated ginger, coriander and spring onions.
MACROBIOTICS-the healthy, nature-friendly way of life based on a diet of whole grains, vegetables, and beans-is now a global phenomenon. In recent years a number of Hollywood stars have taken up the macrobiotic diet because of its many benefits, which include higher energy levels, beautiful skin, a tranquil mind, and a greater sense of connection with the universe. In Mayumi's Kitchen, Mayumi Nishimura, the woman who worked for seven years as Madonna's private macrobiotic chef, shares with the world her dazzling recipes.
Mayumi's unique style of cooking is healthful, intuitive, and easy to stick with. She draws her inspiration not only from Japanese food, which she grew up with, but also from Chinese, French, Italian, and any number of other world cuisines, as well as from macrobiotic traditions. She believes that enjoyment, above all, is the key to sustainable healthy eating, and that means adapting her cooking to cosmopolitan tastes.
Buy Mayumi's Kitchen here.
Also in Recipes - Vegan, Macrobiotic & Japanese
Kick-start your day with a Clearspring Organic, 100% Japanese Matcha Shot. A finely ground powder made from the highest quality premium grade green tea leaves, shade grown on a tea garden high in the hills of Uji, Kyoto, Japan, renowned for producing the best Japanese tea.
Matcha’s not only destined to be a drink! Our magical green powder can work its magic when added to your kitchen creations. We have created a delicious on-the-go snack for you.
This Pad Thai recipe is absolutely delicious. I have kept it as close to the original as I could get whilst making sure it is full of only the best unrefined, healthy and nourishing ingredients.