This vegan friendly trifle is packed with different flavours and textures. A perfect dessert any time of the year.
For 1 trifle
- 1L soya milk
- Vanilla powder, or a few vanilla seeds scraped from the pod, to taste
- 1 small packet arrowroot
- 1 pinch turmeric
Clearspring Rice Malt Syrup, as required
- Bring the apple juice to the boil with the salt, then add the agar agar and pear strips.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until pears are soft. Remove from the stove.
- Bring soya milk to a gentle boil and stir in the vanilla powder and turmeric. Separately dissolve some arrowroot in soya milk & stir into the custard. Continue stirring until custard thickens.
- Add rice syrup to taste.
- Pour fruit spread into a pot and add a little water.
- Bring to the boil and stir to a smooth spreadable paste.
- Boil the cashews in just enough water to cover for about half an hour until all the water has evaporated and the nuts are soft.
- Transfer cashews to the blender and add 2 tbsp of rice milk and the same of rice syrup. Blend until it becomes a smooth thick cream. If the mixture is too thick add more rice milk.
- Taste the cream and add more rice syrup if required.
- Layer the broken cookies and blueberries at the bottom of a flat serving dish.
- Pour jelly mixture over the blueberries and biscuits and allow to cool until set.
- Pour the custard on top of the set jelly and allow to cool.
Spread the jam topping over the custard.
- Add the cashew cream to the top of the jam.
- Decorate with raspberries and blueberries.
- You should now have a very beautiful trifle.
Marijke de Coninck
Marijke De Coninck is Co Director of the International Macrobiotic School. She works as a Macrobiotic teacher, Life Counsellor and Cook in the UK and in Belgium. Her children are running a thriving macrobiotic restaurant in Ghent.
Together with her partner Oliver she is training people to become Macrobiotic Life Counsellors, Cooks and Healing Cooks in an in depth and innovative three year course.
Marijke is a sought after counsellor in the UK and abroad. She is very well known for her unique way of counselling.