A simple bean stew that tastes delicious. The peppery lentils are balanced by the deliciously sweet squash and onion, all simmered together in a bubbling stew creating a warm comforting dish.
- Place the onion and squash in a heavy based pot and add the miso bouillon stock.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat 10-15 minutes (until squash is soft), adding more water if required.
- Stir in the lentils and cook for 5 minutes.
- Most of the liquid should be absorbed and the stew should be creamy.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle lightly with the shoyu and balsamic vinegar to your desired taste.
- Mix well, transfer to a bowl and serve hot with your choice of Clearspring quick cooked grain, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Or simply serve with warmed pitta bread or sourdough bread.
For over 30 years Marlene has been actively teaching all aspects of health and wellness. Her dietary advice draws from the fields of macrobiotic nutrition, her studies in Traditional Chinese medicine and common sense. Her favourite saying is 'If you don't look after your body, then where are you going to live'.
Her new book "Macrobiotic for All Seasons" is available on her website: