Clearspring Red Kidney Beans have a soft, creamy flesh that are deliciously satisfying and are great in mixed bean salads and stews such as chilli con carne and make the perfect burger.
Kidney beans are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, as are most other beans. In addition to lowering cholesterol, kidney beans' high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia.
When combined with whole grains such as rice, kidney beans provide virtually fat-free high quality protein. But this is far from all kidney beans have to offer.
Makes 6 large burgers
- In a large bowl mash with the kidney beans with a fork or potato masher then add the cooked rice and mix well along with the salsa. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- In a pan warm the sesame oil and sauté the garlic and onion along with the spring onions, herbs and spices and shoyu.
- Sauté until the onion is soft. If you prefer spicy burgers, you may add a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce.
- Remove from the pan and add this mixture to the beans along with the fresh coriander. Stir in the breadcrumbs and mix well squeezing the ingredients together with your hands.
- Heat a heavy based pan and warm up some Clearspring Organic Sunflower Oil. Cook the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes each side until crisp and golden. They will ‘blacken’ slightly because of the beans.
- Serve with a selection of vegetables, or my Sweet French Fries, or simply stack some salad greens, cucumber, pickles on toasted sourdough and top with your favourite salsa. Here I have served these delicious burgers with some baked pumpkin slices, salad greens topped with Clearspring Sauerkraut, alongside a serving of Clearspring Miso Relish and some vegan mayonnaise. Totally scrumptious.
For over 30 years Marlene has been actively teaching all aspects of health and wellness. Her dietary advice draws from the fields of macrobiotic nutrition, her studies in Traditional Chinese medicine and common sense. Her favourite saying is 'If you don't look after your body, then where are you going to live'.
Her new book "Macrobiotic for All Seasons" is available on her website: