Clearspring Aligns to the UK Plastics Pact
As part of our commitment to sustainability, we are following the Soil Association’s lead, (the UK’s leading certifier of Organic Foods) and aligning our packaging strategy with the UK Plastics Pact.
The Pact is an ambitious, collaborative initiative led by WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme), which has set bold targets to make a massive impact on the amount of plastic used in packaging by 2025. Some of their key targets include:
- 100% of plastic packaging used should be reusable, recyclable or compostable.
- 70% of plastic packaging should be effectively recycled or composted
- 30% average recycled content across all plastic packaging
- Action should be taken to eliminate problematic or unnecessary single-use packaging items through redesign, innovation or alternative (reuse) delivery models
UK Plastics Pact targets for 2025
The UK Plastics Pack brings together governments, businesses, local authorities, NGOs and citizens.
By working in partnership with our suppliers and producers and sharing knowledge we aim to achieve these ambitious targets and make all Clearspring’s packaging recyclable, reusable or compostable by 2025.
We’ve started to make some big changes already and our most recent innovations include:
Clearspring Organic Tea Bags range
The entire Clearspring Organic Japanese Tea Bag range has received a packing refresh. Alongside a bright and refreshed new design, the packaging is entirely sustainable. The tea bags are compostable and non-GM, the string is made of organic cotton and the outer carton is made of recyclable FSC certified paperboard and printed using vegetable-based ink.
Teabags: Compostable Tags, Envelopes, Carton: Recyclable
- Non-GM and in 100% sustainable packaging
- Teabags staple-free, stitched together using a unique folding process
- Strings are 100% organic cotton
- Outer carton recyclable and printed using vegetable-based ink
Clearspring Organic Atlantic Sea Vegetables Range
Our new Organic Atlantic Sea Vegetables range is also 100% sustainable. The Sea Vegetables themselves are sustainably cultivated, the outer carton is 100% recyclable and the inner pouch is made from home-compostable cellulose from wood-pulp, which comes from carefully managed plantations.
The new changes are already making a huge impact in the amount of plastic that we are using:
Inner bag: Compostable Outer carton: Recyclable
- Made from bio-film from renewable sources
- Comprises cellulose from wood-pulp, produced in carefully managed plantations
- Compostable certified by the EU and the USA
These new innovations join our existing products which are in fully recyclable and reusable packaging in most parts of the UK: Coconut Specialities (Coconut Water, Coconut Milk and Coconut Oil), Pasta Sauces and Passata, Bio Kitchen Vegetables, Pulses and Peanut Butter, Sea Salt, Fruit Spreads, Amazake Desserts and Malt Syrups.