This No Churn Ice Cream uses only three ingredients coconut cream, rice malt syrup and white miso. This combination works really well together in this unusual umami rich ice cream. For an extra dash of richness and umami add a teaspoon of Yaemon Tamari.
The trick to this ice cream is to have both the coconut milk and the mixing bowl chilled prior to mixing and work quickly. Once made keep in a sealed container in the freezer and eat within a week as the ice cream can go grainy.
Makes about 500ml
- 2 cans (2 x 400ml) Clearspring Organic Coconut Milk
- 4 tbs Clearspring Organic Rice Malt Syrup
- 1 tbs Clearspring Organic Japanese White Miso Paste - Unpasteurised
- 1 tsp Clearspring Organic Yaemon Tamari Soya Sauce (optional)
- Put the cans of coconut milk upside down in the fridge to chill for at least 12 hours before making. If possible, put a mixing bowl into the freezer 20-30 minutes before you make the ice cream.
- Open the cans and the coconut cream and liquid should have separated. Pour the liquid off (you might need to use a sieve) and scrape the solid cream into the pre chilled mixing bowl.
- Use an electric whisk to whip the solid cream into soft peaks, then add the rice malt syrup, miso and optional tamari and fold in on a slow speed or with a spatula.
- Transfer to an airtight freezer container with lid and freezer overnight until solid.
- Remove from the freezer 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe, photography & styling by Helen Best-Shaw, Fuss Free Flavours, for Clearspring Ltd.