This fresh and tangy pate is great served on bread, vegetable sticks or with Clearspring Oatcakes.
- 250g carrot, peeled, chopped into chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 2tsp Clearspring Tamari Soya Sauce
- 1.5tbsp breadcrumbs
- ½tsp Clearspring Umeboshi Purée
- 5g Clearspring Pickled Ginger, finely chopped plus 1 tsp of ginger juice
- 1tsp Clearspring Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1tbsp coriander, chopped
- Boil or steam the carrots with a pinch of Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt and the garlic for about 5-7 minutes until they are just tender.
- Drain the carrots and put them into a blender with the Tamari, breadcrumbs and Umeboshi Purée and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Now stir in the Sesame Oil and coriander. Taste and add a little extra Tamari if desired.
Celia Plender is a freelance food writer and chef with experience in both Japan and the UK. She has written for publications including Time Out Magazine, channel4.com/4food, goodfoodchannel.co.uk and clearspring.co.uk.
Since returning from Japan, where she worked as a chef in a Tokyo kaiseki restaurant, she has devoted more and more of her time to Japanese cuisine. As she trained in the West, she is also fully conversant with European cuisine.
She is the proud editor of two cookbooks: Dashi and Umami, the Heart of Japanese Cuisine (Cross Media 2009) and Umami World Recipes, Filipino (Cross Media 2009).
In her food writing career she has written for various magazines and websites, including www.channel4.com/4Food, where she is currently Deputy Editor, www.goodfoodchannel.co.uk, Time Out Eating and Drinking Guides, www.Eat-Japan.com and www.clearspring.co.uk. She is also a member of the Guild of Food Writers.