Udon Salad with Seitan & Sweet Mustard Sauce
This healthful salad contains seitan, a wheat gluten that is a great source of protein.
"Seitan is wheat gluten that is cooked with shoyu, kombu and water. I serve it here with noodles. It's an easy-to-eat meat substitute. Tempeh can also be used in this recipe".
From Mayumi's Kitchen by Mayumi Nishimura
For the Sweet Mustard Sauce
For the Pressed Salad
- 250g Chinese cabbage, cut into 1 inch strips
- 70g daikon, cut into matchsticks
- 50g seedless cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 60g carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2tsp Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt
- Make the Sweet Mustard Sauce: Combine the ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and set aside.
- Prepare the Pressed Salad: Put the vegetables and salt in a bowl and mix. Put a weight on a plate and place directly on the vegetables. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Boil the noodles for the time indicated on the package, then transfer to a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and saute the seitan for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the weight from the salad and gently squeeze the vegetables to remove excess liquid. Return to the bowl.
- Add the noodles and Sweet Mustard Sauce, and mix. Transfer to individual plates and top with the seitan.
MACROBIOTICS-the healthy, nature-friendly way of life based on a diet of whole grains, vegetables, and beans-is now a global phenomenon. In recent years a number of Hollywood stars have taken up the macrobiotic diet because of its many benefits, which include higher energy levels, beautiful skin, a tranquil mind, and a greater sense of connection with the universe. In Mayumi's Kitchen, Mayumi Nishimura, the woman who worked for seven years as Madonna's private macrobiotic chef, shares with the world her dazzling recipes.
Mayumi's unique style of cooking is healthful, intuitive, and easy to stick with. She draws her inspiration not only from Japanese food, which she grew up with, but also from Chinese, French, Italian, and any number of other world cuisines, as well as from macrobiotic traditions. She believes that enjoyment, above all, is the key to sustainable healthy eating, and that means adapting her cooking to cosmopolitan tastes.
Buy Mayumi's Kitchen here.
Also in Recipes - Vegan, Macrobiotic & Japanese
Kick-start your day with a Clearspring Organic, 100% Japanese Matcha Shot. A finely ground powder made from the highest quality premium grade green tea leaves, shade grown on a tea garden high in the hills of Uji, Kyoto, Japan, renowned for producing the best Japanese tea.
Matcha’s not only destined to be a drink! Our magical green powder can work its magic when added to your kitchen creations. We have created a delicious on-the-go snack for you.
This Pad Thai recipe is absolutely delicious. I have kept it as close to the original as I could get whilst making sure it is full of only the best unrefined, healthy and nourishing ingredients.