This earthy dish is simple to prepare and bursting with flavour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C/gas 5.
- Cover the shiitake mushrooms with a little warm water and soak until softened (5-10 minutes), then remove and discard the stalks. Slice the cap.
- Clean the field mushrooms and then rub with the avocado oil and a little salt and pepper. Bake in the oven, with the gills facing down for 3 minutes then turn over and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onions and garlic in a pan until softened, add the shiitake, breadcrumbs, lemon, pumpkin seeds, thyme and parsley and mix together. Remove from the heat.
- Put this mixture on top of the mushrooms and bake for a further 5 minutes.
You can also add a little Clearspring Atlantic Sea Vegetables Salad to the breadcrumb mix before you put it into the mushrooms for extra nutrition.
Celia Plender is a freelance food writer and chef with experience in both Japan and the UK. She has written for publications including Time Out Magazine, channel4.com/4food, goodfoodchannel.co.uk and clearspring.co.uk.
Since returning from Japan, where she worked as a chef in a Tokyo kaiseki restaurant, she has devoted more and more of her time to Japanese cuisine. As she trained in the West, she is also fully conversant with European cuisine.
She is the proud editor of two cookbooks: Dashi and Umami, the Heart of Japanese Cuisine (Cross Media 2009) and Umami World Recipes, Filipino (Cross Media 2009).
In her food writing career she has written for various magazines and websites, including www.channel4.com/4Food, where she is currently Deputy Editor, www.goodfoodchannel.co.uk, Time Out Eating and Drinking Guides, www.Eat-Japan.com and www.clearspring.co.uk. She is also a member of the Guild of Food Writers.
Also in Recipes - Vegan, Macrobiotic & Japanese
Kick-start your day with a Clearspring Organic, 100% Japanese Matcha Shot. A finely ground powder made from the highest quality premium grade green tea leaves, shade grown on a tea garden high in the hills of Uji, Kyoto, Japan, renowned for producing the best Japanese tea.
Matcha’s not only destined to be a drink! Our magical green powder can work its magic when added to your kitchen creations. We have created a delicious on-the-go snack for you.
This Pad Thai recipe is absolutely delicious. I have kept it as close to the original as I could get whilst making sure it is full of only the best unrefined, healthy and nourishing ingredients.