This deep-fried tofu dish is a simple, classic yet gorgeous way to serve hot tofu as a starter or as a side.
Serves 6 (2 pieces per person)
- 250ml dashi
- 2 or 3 tbsp Clearspring Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Clearspring Mikawa Mirin (optional)
- Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt (to taste)
For the presentation
- 1/2 Clearspring Toasted Fine Cut Nori OR 2 spring onions
- OR grated daikon and ginger
- AND/OR sesame seeds
20 min before: prepare the dashi (Japanese stock): soak the kombu and shiitake in 250ml of water
- Extract gently from its package the tofu and cut into 3cm cubes.
- Mix the kuzu powder, flour and a pinch of fine sea salt. Add small amount of water to dissolve kuzu and flour.
- Heat the dashi (Japanese stock) and remove kombu just before boiling point. Simmer for 5 minutes, remove the shiitake. Add the kuzu & flour mix, mirin (optional) and soya sauce, and take off the heat when translucent
- Heat oil
- Dip Tofu in powder mix and gently and carefully place it in the oil
- Turn Tofu if necessary and deep-fry until golden colour on all sides
- Take the Tofu out of the oil. Leave to rest on tissue paper (this will absorb extra oil)
- To serve: put 2 pieces in a small dish, add the dressing and sprinkle nori strips and/or spring onions to finish the dish