A flavoursome vegan pesto is spotlighted in this delicious pasta dish. Enjoy it along with a crisp, fresh salad and some wholegrain bread.
For the pasta
For the pesto
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the salt and one tbsp of olive oil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the pesto. Place all of the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor, and blend to a coarse paste. If too thick, add a little of the pasta cooking water as needed.
- Reserving a ladle of the cooking water, drain the pasta. Return it to the pot, drizzle with the remaining tbsp of olive oil, and add the pesto. Toss well, adding a little of the reserved cooking water if too dry. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and garnish with basil leaves. Serve hot.
- Top with chopped fresh tomatoes; marinated artichoke hearts; sauteed mushrooms; slivers of marinated sun-dried tomatoes; or steamed Swiss chard, spinach, broccoli, or broccoli rabe.
- Add some baked or pan-fried seasoned tofu or tempeh.
- Use the pesto to dress other foods, such as broccoli, green beans, green salads, and tomato salads.
Recipe taken from Greens and Grains on the Deep Blue Sea Cookbook, courtesy of Sandy Pukel and Mark Hanna