This nourishing dessert is perfect for winter nights when the cold draws in. It has a beautiful variety of textures.
For the base
- 1/2 pint apple juice
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1183g peeled, sliced apples
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the topping
*Walnuts, pecans, almonds, and cashews are recommended.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil an 20cm-square baking pan and set aside.
- Place the apple juice in a mixing bowl, add the arrowroot, and stir to dissolve. Add the apples and cinnamon, and toss gently. Transfer to the prepared pan and set aside.
- To make the topping, combine the oats, flour; nuts, cranberries (if using), and salt in a mixing bowl. Rub the oil into the mixture with your fingers, then drizzle in the rice syrup while mixing with a fork. Distribute evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the apples are bubbling. Serve hot or warm.
Recipe taken from Greens and Grains on the Deep Blue Sea Cookbook, courtesy of Sandy Pukel and Mark Hanna