Light, sweet misos combine well with brown rice vinegar to make wonderful creamy salad dressings.
Makes about 200ml
- 80ml Clearspring Sunflower Oil OR Clearspring Safflower Oil
- 3 level tablespoons Clearspring Sweet White Miso
- 20ml Clearspring Brown Rice Vinegar
- 60ml cold water
- 1 tablespoon Clearspring Rice Malt Syrup OR Clearspring Mikawa Mirin
- 1 rounded tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder OR 2 tsp chopped fresh dill
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and zap until smooth.
- Pour the dressing into a jar, and if possible chill before serving.
- Shake well before pouring it over green leafy salads, sliced tomatoes, cold boiled potatoes or sea vegetable salad.
John & Jan Belleme
John & Jan Belleme are leading autorities on the healing powers of traditional Japanese foods. Before turning his focus to food and health, John was a research biologist for the Veteran's association in Miami, Florida, and he worked in laboratories at the Universities of Miami Medical School and Harvard University Medical School.
For more than twenty-five years John has applied his background in medical research to interpreting the literature on traditional Japanese medicinal foods.
In 1979, after living and studying in Japan for over a year - where the Bellemes learned the craft of miso making firsthand - they co-founded the American Miso Company, one of the world's largest producers of traditional miso.
Since the 1980s the Bellemes have researched and written, and in many cases illustrated, over 130 published articles on the subject of Japanese foods, including four books: Culinary Treasures of Japan; Cooking with Japanese Foods: A Guide to the Traditional Natural Foods of Japan; Clearspring - The Real Taste of Japan and The Miso Book.
John and Jan travel throughout the eastern United States giving lectures about authentic Japanese foods, and every winter, with partner Sandy Pukel, organise a week-long health cruise that features prominent experts in macrobiotic cooking, healthy living, holistic medicine, yoga, meditation, shiatsu, Pilates, and natural beauty aids. They live in Saluda, North Carolina.