The amount of curry can be varied to taste in this colourful vegetable soup.
- 1 tablespoon Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium to large carrots, sliced
- A large pinch of Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt
- 600ml water
- 400ml rice drink
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- Pinch of black or white pepper, or to taste
- 2tbsp Clearspring Sweet White Miso
- 2tbsp finely grated raw carrot
- Parsley sprigs and/or croutons
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the carrots and salt and sauté for two minutes more.
- Add the water and rice drink, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the curry powder and pepper and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add the miso and using a hand held blender puree until smooth. Stir in the grated carrots, and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, serve and garnish.
John & Jan Belleme
John & Jan Belleme are leading autorities on the healing powers of traditional Japanese foods. Before turning his focus to food and health, John was a research biologist for the Veteran's association in Miami, Florida, and he worked in laboratories at the Universities of Miami Medical School and Harvard University Medical School.
For more than twenty-five years John has applied his background in medical research to interpreting the literature on traditional Japanese medicinal foods.
In 1979, after living and studying in Japan for over a year - where the Bellemes learned the craft of miso making firsthand - they co-founded the American Miso Company, one of the world's largest producers of traditional miso.
Since the 1980s the Bellemes have researched and written, and in many cases illustrated, over 130 published articles on the subject of Japanese foods, including four books: Culinary Treasures of Japan; Cooking with Japanese Foods: A Guide to the Traditional Natural Foods of Japan; Clearspring - The Real Taste of Japan and The Miso Book.
John and Jan travel throughout the eastern United States giving lectures about authentic Japanese foods, and every winter, with partner Sandy Pukel, organise a week-long health cruise that features prominent experts in macrobiotic cooking, healthy living, holistic medicine, yoga, meditation, shiatsu, Pilates, and natural beauty aids. They live in Saluda, North Carolina.