The cabbage in this light, bright-coloured, fibre-rich salad is pressed in the traditional Japanese manner. It is a perfect accompaniment to any meal.
472g shredded red cabbage
2 tsps Clearspring Umeboshi Purée
1 tsp Clearspring Apple Vinegar
354g corn kernels
Pinch Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt
1183g finely chopped kale
236g julienne-cut carrots
236g red radishes, cut into thin half moons
236g julienne-cut daikon
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
Vegetable salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Press the cabbage with the umeboshi paste and vinegar for 1 hour.
2. While the cabbage is pressing, fill a 4-quart pot halfway with water and bring to the boil. Add the corn and quickly blanch for a minute or two. Remove the corn with a slotted spoon and place in a large salad bowl.
3. Add a pinch of salt to the same water, then add the kale and blanch for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and spread on a tray to cool.
4. Add the cooled kale to the corn, along with the carrots, radishes, daikon, pressed cabbage, olive oil, and lemon juice. Toss the ingredients, add salt and pepper, and toss again before serving.
- Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic, or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- Add 59g toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
- Add sauerkraut or slivers of dill pickle.
Recipe taken from Greens and Grains on the Deep Blue Sea Cookbook, courtesy of Sandy Pukel and Mark Hanna