A rich tasting and dairy-free delight.
1 apple peeled, cored and cut into four rings
2-3 tbsp arrowroot powder
Clearspring Sunflower Frying Oil for frying
78.5g white or sifted wholewheat flour
A pinch Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt
A pinch of cinnamon powder
Sparkling or still water
Carob spread or bar
1 tsp grated orange rind (optional)
Water or rice drink
Roasted chopped hazelnuts
1. Mix the batter dry ingredients in a bowl then carefully add in a small amount of water to give a thick cream-like consistency. Refrigerate for half an hour.
2. Meanwhile prepare the sauce by heating carob spread diluted with a little water or rice drink until you have a consistency you can pour. If using bars, carefully heat and melt with a little hot water or rice drink.
3. Heat half an inch of oil in a frying pan being careful not to let it smoke.
4. Dust each apple ring with some arrowroot powder, then dip into the chilled batter and fry in the hot oil until crunchy and golden colour (approx. 2 minutes each side).
5. Drain each apple ring on a paper towel to remove any excess oil. Serve immediately with the hot carob sauce garnished with the hazelnuts and strawberries.