Full of warming ingredients and winter goodness.
150g pearl barley
1tbsp Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped in to chunks
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp cinnamon
1tsp fresh ground black pepper
1tbsp Clearspring Shizengo Sake
1tbsp Clearspring Shoyu Soya Sauce
1tbsp Clearspring Rice Mirin
1 orange, zest and juice
2 sachets Clearspring Miso Bouillon mixed with 800ml water
2 big handfuls spinach
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
- Wash the pearl barley thoroughly in cold water and then put to one size.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion, and fry gently for 2-3 minutes or until just starting to soften, now add the butternut squash and garlic and fry for 3 more minutes.
- Add the spices and as soon as you can smell then, put the barley, sake, soya sauce and mirin into the pan and allow the alcohol to burn off.
- Finally, pour in the orange juice and zest and the miso bouillon and cover the pan with foil.
- Back in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, take off the foil. Stir through the spinach and serve as soon as it has wilted.