A mild Indonesian style dish with golden fried tofu cubes that are crispy on the surface but soft and smooth inside.
1 pack of Clearspring Tofu
1 tsp arrowroot powder or alternative flour
1 tbsp peanut Oil or Clearspring Sesame Oil
dash of Clearspring Shoyu Soya Sauce
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
50g desiccated coconut
1 can of coconut milk
2 portions of jasmine rice
A pinch of fresh coriander
A pinch of Clearspring Traditional Sea Salt
A pinch of black pepper
1. Carefully remove the tofu from its pack and drain. Cut into 6 cubes. Pat with a little arrowroot powder or other flour alternative.
2. Lightly toast the desiccated coconut. Try not to burn. Set aside.
3. Stir fry the tofu cubes with oil until the surface turns a golden colour.
4. Cook the jasmine rice according to the pack instruction.
5. Finley chop the onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chilli. Blend all to a puree and add the toasted desiccated coconut.
6. Gently cook the puree in a frying pan, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
7. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add the fried tofu and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season with soya sauce, and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with the jasmine rice and garnish with some fresh coriander.
Recipe submitted by Hannah Murfet