Ingredients (Serves 4)
340g Clearspring Sushi Rice
50ml Clearspring Sushi Rice Seasoning
Braised Hijiki Mixture
15g Clearspring Hijiki
1 medium size carrot, sliced in julienne style
4 Clearspring Shiitake Mushrooms
1 tbsp Clearspring Soya Sauce
1 tbsp Japanese sake
2 tbsp Clearspring Rice Malt Syrup
1 tbsp Clearspring Rapeseed Oil
One handful of cooked* and sliced mange tout (snow peas).
*only cooked in the boiled water for 2 minutes, then cooled in the cold water afterwards to preserve the colour.
1. Wash the rice thoroughly in a sieve for no less than 2 minutes, constantly turning the rice over until the water turns clear.
2. Drain the rice and transfer it to the pan with 360ml of water, and leave it for 30 minutes.
3. Soak hijiki in the water for 20 minutes.
4. Cook the rice: Bring to the boil and keep it boiling for 1 minute, then reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 8-9 minutes. Turn the heat off then let it stand to cool for a further 15 minutes. Add sushi rice seasoning and mix gently.
5. Drain hijiki, rinse then drain well again.
6. Sautee carrot, hijiki, shiitake mushooms with a little oil in a flying pan for few minutes.
7. Add shiitake mushroom stock, sake, malt syrup, mirin, soya sauce to 6, then simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Mix rice and 7, and serve on a flat plate. Garnish with sliced mange tout.
Making shiitake mushroom dashi stock
1. Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in 100ml of cold water for 2 hours or overnight.
2. Remove shiitake mushrooms and squeeze the water out, then set aside.
3. Slice the shiitake mushrooms.