1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Prick the aubergine all over and then place on an oven tray and roast for around 20 minutes until soft all the way through.
3. While the aubergine is roasting, heat a dry frying pan over a low heat. Add the sesame seeds to the pan and toast until golden, stirring every now and then. Tip into a mortar, reserving 1 teaspoon to garnish the dip, and grind until the seeds have broken down to a sandy texture.
4. Now cut the aubergine in half and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Discard the skin and chop the aubergine flesh until fine.
5. In a bowl mix together all the ingredients except the Tamari. Taste and then add Tamari if necessary. Sprinkle with a few extra toasted sesame seeds to garnish.